Monday, March 2, 2009

A Passion for Fashion

As far back as I can remember, I had an interest in the creative area of fashion design. I lived and breathed it in my teens. Vogue was my favorite. American Vogue, French Vogue, Italian Vogue. Had to read them all. I thought nothing of spending $60+ on fashion publications to feed my craving. For me, Monday mornings in high school was my chance to wear my latest outfit!

Obviously, I chose fashion design as a career. I was more than ready for college. I attended and graduated from The Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising in Los Angeles. The years spent there and at the Orange County campus in Costa Mesa (first year there) were most memorable. I made some lifelong friends. We all went our separate ways. My friend, Rod and I made an unofficial pact to move to NY after graduation. He did. I stayed in CA to work. We still keep in touch. He adores my husband, Kenneth and our son Sean! He was the most hilarious person I ever met. Yes, at 19, we all thought his antics of blacking out his front tooth with chocolate cake at Hamburger Hamlet in L.A. was hysterical. Picture it. A big grin for the waitress when she came around to ask how our meal was.